My Life at The Beach

When many people think about California, they think about sunny days and going to the beach to swim in the ocean. In my 18 years here in the bay area, only once have I have gone to the beach to play nearby. Most of the beaches I go to are in other countries of places, such as Hawaii. This is probably due to the fact that the one beach day I had, was not a particularly great one.
The first time I ever when to the beach was when I was 8 years old and my younger brother was 5. Even though it was 10 years ago, I still remember the most important parts of the story. I remember arriving at the beach in the morning with all my typically beach stuff, sunscreen, shovels, buckets, towels, all with one goal: to build the best sandcastle that I could. Keep in mind that I was 8 years old, so I had no understanding of how to build anything large and structurally sound. But I went off to do it anyway. After running around for a bit, I began to dig into the sand, gather as much wet sand as I could into the bucket. This sand would be used to make the one bucket tower that would end up being my attempt at a castle. After placing down this bucket of sand and realizing there was no way I was actually going to make a sand castle, I did the only reasonable thing that I thought would help, dig a moat around the castel. I had no understanding about how the tides worked and didn't realized that as the day went on, the swash zone could get larger and the tide would get closer to whey my bucket of sand was.
So I just sat there with my back facing the ocean looking at the cliffs ahead for hours. Keep in mind, my sand thing was build right above the swash zone line so any change in the tide would probably hit me. So in about an hour a giant wave crashed onto my back and I was tumbled, back into the ocean. I felt like a sand grain being pushed back and forth along the shore. My parents immediately came to get me, but not before I had gone through 1 1/2 periods of wave movement. In the end of it I threw up into the moat that I had made for my castle and passed out. 4 hours later I would wake in the back of a car completely fine.
So TLDR: Don't build your castle too close to teh water and, watch out tides are very strong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Snorkeling Experience

My favorite Animal

The Great Barrier Reefs