My favorite Animal
As mentioned in many of my other posts, I have always loved the ocean. Ever since I was little, I watched shows like NOVA and Discovery Channel (back when it was actually educational and not just people fishing and hunting stuff). And over time, these shows began to influence me. I worked hard talking about the effects of global warming in every school project and discussing ocean acidification in every single blog we had in class. But why was I so attached to the ocean really? Well I was amazed by one single animal: the cuttlefish.
After watching one documentary about this alien like animal, I immediately took interest in it. The way that it hypnotized its prey by changing its skin between black and white. The way it could camouflage in any place, even changing the texture of its skin to fit into the background. The w shaped eyes it had and the fact that it could see anything in 180 degrees. The way it could solve mazes and different puzzles To me this animal seemed like a better version of a human and more like something that exists in a comic book rather than real life.
Maybe in reality I loved this animal, because in a sense it was me. Like many other people, I loved to fit in. For some reason in middle school and high school, I would be the one asian kid in a group of white people. I always had an Asian group of friends also, but with my white group of friends, I changed my personality to try to fit in. I never wanted to stand out and always wanted to be invisible. When I saw the cuttlefish do the same thing. I felt a connection.
In my life I have only ever seen this animal 2 times, both at different aquariums in China and the Bay Area. My next goal is to see this curious animal in its natural habitat and I hope to study it more in the future.
After watching one documentary about this alien like animal, I immediately took interest in it. The way that it hypnotized its prey by changing its skin between black and white. The way it could camouflage in any place, even changing the texture of its skin to fit into the background. The w shaped eyes it had and the fact that it could see anything in 180 degrees. The way it could solve mazes and different puzzles To me this animal seemed like a better version of a human and more like something that exists in a comic book rather than real life.
Maybe in reality I loved this animal, because in a sense it was me. Like many other people, I loved to fit in. For some reason in middle school and high school, I would be the one asian kid in a group of white people. I always had an Asian group of friends also, but with my white group of friends, I changed my personality to try to fit in. I never wanted to stand out and always wanted to be invisible. When I saw the cuttlefish do the same thing. I felt a connection.
In my life I have only ever seen this animal 2 times, both at different aquariums in China and the Bay Area. My next goal is to see this curious animal in its natural habitat and I hope to study it more in the future.
Comments
Post a Comment